How to make Queso Fresco Cheese
- Pasteurize your milk (recommended if you’re lucky enough to get raw milk.) Heat milk to 145F and hold for 30 min.
- Cool milk to 90F. Add mesophilic starter culture. Add rennet. Stir for 1 minute. Hold for 30-45 minutes until the curd gives a clean break.
- Cut the curd in 1/4″ cubes.
- Raise the temperature to 95F over 20 minutes. Stir gently every few minutes to keep curds from matting.
- Let the curds set, undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Drain the whey. (save to make ricotta or biobutanol, if you’re so inclined.)
- Add salt, and let sit at 95F for another 30 minutes.
- Ladle into cheesecloth lined mold/press.
9. Apply 35 pounds of pressure for 6 hours. (ramp the pressure up gradually over 1 hour.)
- Remove from mold. Enjoy fresh, or allow to age for a few days.